Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Fun with Statistics

An oft-quoted statistic reappears in a Mahalnobis post:
William Galston, once an assistant to President Clinton, put the matter simply. To avoid poverty, do three things: finish high school, marry before having a child, and produce the child after you are 20 years old. Only 8% of people who do all three will be poor; of those who fail to do them, 79% will be poor.


Well, rereading this I realized that I have already fulfilled two of the conditions. I made it to 20 without a baby and I finished high school. If I can manage to not have a child before marriage, prosperity awaits. Not a bad deal....

2 Comments:

Blogger Isaac said...

Are you sure that prosperity is equivalent to not-poverty?

12:44 PM  
Blogger henry said...

Well, no, but that's why it's kind of a silly statistic anyway.

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home