Thursday, September 15, 2005

More dilettantism

[F]or people above a threshold of material well-being, another kind of well-being is central. Autonomy -- how much control you have over your life -- and the opportunities you have for full social engagement and participation are crucial for health, well-being, and longevity. It is inequality in these that plays a big part in producing the social gradient in health. Degrees of control and participation underlie the status syndrome.
--Sir Michael Marmot, "The Status Syndrome," pg. 2.

2 Comments:

Blogger henry said...

Hmmm...I tend to think that people at any level of material well-being appreciate autonomy at roughly constant rates. Being beholden to charity or government isn't very fun.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Isaac said...

I'm only slowly making my way through the book, but the argument seems to be that once you hold everything constant, autonomy turns out to be the indicator of health. So, yeah, people appreciate autonomy equally (his "certain level of material well-being" is above subsistence, so I don't think you're actually disagreeing with him, just my ellipsis...). I'll maybe say more once I've read the whole book (or maybe I won't read the whole book...).

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home