Monday, July 25, 2005

How I Came To Be An Economics Major Without Ever Taking An Economics Class (or really knowing what economics was):

1. Wow, economists sure do seem to disagree with a lot that I think I believe in.*
2. Hmm, maybe I should take enough economics to know how to understand and argue with economists on their own terms.**
3. Damn! Economists are well-compensated compared to other social scientists. Economists can move more easily than other social scientists between academia, the private sector and the public sector? And their work can be relevant in all those areas?***
4. Wait, a social science heavily reliant on math? That's like the two things I'm sort of good at.****

And so, without ever taking an economics course or really having a clue what economics was, I decided I would like economics and that I should major in economics.

*Fall 2002, Madison, Wisconsin, while taking a version of this course.
** See previous.
***London Stanstead airport, first Sunday in May 2003, or last Sunday in April, 2003.
****Sometime later in May or June, 2003 in Montpellier, France.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, all of these (with emphasis on #1 and #2) are why I majored in econ. I never realized how engrossing it would be when I started...

4:17 PM  
Blogger Isaac said...

Yeah, I sort of had had the idea that I'd try to spend quality time in other social science departments, but after economics, what else is as cool?

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home