Monday, July 11, 2005

By The Way

Are people talking about farm subsidies right now simply as a neo-liberal reaction to Live 8? For that contrarian impulse describes me: those stupid celebrities, aid is bad. But really, I swear, it's not that I'm heartless -- I oppose poverty -- it's because it creates bad incentives and a cycle of waste and corruption. I do have better ideas, though they may work only in theory. Aren't untried theories better than failed practice?

Or is there some better reason for this suddenly becoming a topic of interest? I admit to being inspired by Sebastain Mallaby, a neo-liberal-ish type. And Dani Rodrik tends to oppose those neo-liberal instincts, and is normally thought-provoking, which is why I'd like to read that article.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home