Thursday, April 21, 2005

On the Virtues of Blogging

If I have learned something in the past semester it's that if I don't have some sort of creative outlet I become a little bit miserable. Classes are interesting and I've learned a lot, but nothing can compare to the pure exuberance of exercising creative power. And *that* is why I am taking the classes I am taking, to allow me to think and create at higher and higher levels. Unfortunately, those classes (classes in general?) don't really encourage intellectual (or otherwise) creation...so it is easy to lose sight of why it all matters. It matters because of what it allows one to do: to create based on a firm and solid knowledge of what has been created before. Also, to be able to enter social channels in which such creation is encouraged and, in particular, funded.

This is why I am excited about this summer. Though I'll have what will probably be a routine and unexciting job (an economist's lowliest of research assistants) without homework I'll have time to be creative. Despite Swarthmore's academic reputation, which is for the most part well-founded, time pressure inhibits (for me, at least) non-class-related thought. Perhaps in the future I will learn how to overcome this inhibition, but for now I am satisfied with the idea that a Swarthmore education has a purpose beyond immediate short-term satiation.

Anyway, I'm going to try to begin writing here regularly. I don't particularly care if anyone reads what I write in this space, but at least I will have some record of thinking these thoughts and a space in which they can develop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home